Thursday, March 13, 2008

ISSUE3.MARCH13.WHEREIBELONG

Where I Belong
I know this song will get some flack.  It's provocative!  "Your kiss, tender and lovely to taste." Seriously who says that!  Especially when you haven't kissed anyone in a really long time :) 

Here's the deal, I was reading Song of Solomon, words like these just come out after you've read that book of the Bible.  God could have taken it out. He could have just left SOS out.  SOS - that's how I feel when I read it as a single person!  SOS - get me outta here!!!  I remember hearing stories in college about movements of the church attempting to take this book out of Scripture. To a Hebrew, this book is a masterpiece.  A precious work of art, intimate, sensual, real.  God wanted it in there but why?   

I thought about taking this song off the project (some songs we did leave behind) but then I realized God didn't take it out of His.  He left this brilliant picture for us in ancient scrolls, a picture of intimate lovers discovering one another.  Donald Miller in his book "Blue Like Jazz" talked about why nudity is the point. Adam and Eve were naked in the Garden because God wanted no barriers between Him and them.  There was nothing to hide, just a naked life in front of an awesome God.  

Where I belong includes me in all this.  I need to be open, honest, real with God.  When relationships with others fail me, with God I can speak my mind. This intimacy will form who I am and who I will become.  The song really is a process of becoming for me.  When I'm with God, His nature starts to leak out onto me.  I start to talk like Him, feel like Him, love like Him.  That is why His provocative book inspired yet another provocative song.      

1 comment:

Katie Scott said...

A. I gave no flack - only a raised eyebrow. :)
B. This song really is one of my favorites on the album - it's transparent, real and thick with God's reality and closeness. I love it and I'm glad you didn't leave it out (small tear shed for Columbus :)).