Saturday, March 22, 2008

ISSUE6.MARCH22.INTOTHEDEEP

Into The Deep

If I get to choose one, this is my favorite track of the project.  One of the last to be written for it but one of the most important for me.  It talks about refreshing.  I was thinking about Psalm 23:2 "He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful steams."  I guess you can say it's the song that resolves "Life at Sea" for me (scroll down to the song and you'll understand after what I mean).  When my life is catastrophic, I can find rest in God.  

It ends with a simple "the shallows aren't for me."  If you think about a life following God as a swimming pool.  There will be a period of time in God where splashing around in the shallow end of the pool is enough (keep reading).  Some of me will be submerged and that will work for the time being. There will be a point, however, when the water covering me and the area I've explored there is not enough.  

Into the Deep is a call for me to head into the deep things of God.  For me, the deeper I go in God the more I find myself refreshed by who He is.  Let me compare this to growing in reading my Bible.

When I was in high school I could barely stand to read 10 minutes of the bible.  It was really difficult for me.  I watched friends of mine go off for hours and spend it in devotional time with God.  I kept thinking to myself "how do they do that? I would totally get bored after 5 minutes!"  Today, the Bible to me is a different story.  I get lost in the book.  I can't stop reading it and it changes me everyday.  I've gone to a different depth in my understanding of God.  It's caused me to become someone who investigates God. There is always a deeper level of understanding and relationship that we can go to with God.  

A lot of times the words discomfort or pain is involved. When things get a little uncomfortable many times God may be trying to get us to another level with Him. Like going into a freezing pool or a really hot spa, most people take a while to adjust in.  The same goes for life in God, there will be discomforts that God allows to get us to the next place.  What we'll actually find on the other side is a new dimension of God that we haven't see before.

It's a simple song, a simple beat, simple chords, and a simple message.  I hope it encourages you to take another step into the depths of who He is.   

No comments: