Friday, March 21, 2008

ISSUE5.MARCH21.THEOTHERS

THE OTHERS
I thought about changing the name of this song because I knew as soon as someone saw the title they would think. "Oh, no, I've been stuck on an island for months after a horrible plane crash and these crazy mysterious people are going to hall me off into the jungle!" This song has nothing to do with the show LOST - in fact I wrote it before I became hopelessly and completely addicted to the show.  Stupid flash forwards by the way, they've sucked us in once again. 

This song has everything to do with my constant struggle to love others.  It talks about how God is so easy to love because ___________(you fill in the blank), but people have this extraordinary way of being mean, saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, being needy, and in general being mean spirited.  

Scripture is pretty clear, you can't say that you love God and then don't love your those around you. It doesn't work in Gods eyes.  Your love for others is proof that you love him.  The Others talks about those "hard to love" people. Everyone has them - if you feel like you don't have them...you might be one of them!   

I thought about some of my most frustrating moments with people.  Like driving for example. There are stupid people on the roads.  I don't like the way they drive.  I am a perfect driver (always appropriate speeds, never cutting anyone off, never distracted by my phone, my tunes, or opening mail while driving) - oh quiet, you've done it too.  I wish everyone else could drive the way I do, but then again, maybe they do!  So in the second verse of the song I talk about interacting with people, like cars in traffic.  For some reason we're in a car so we feel like the car buffers the fact that those other people driving are humans that have families and celebrate Christmas have a grandma that makes them cookies.  They are real people, but when they slowly driving in front of me when I'm late they all of sudden become something different.

OK - long example I know.  I want more than anything to love people well.  I've tried to adopt a life motto "when people leave my presence they will feel more loved that when they came."  I don't always succeed at this but I am working on it.  "The others" is simply Casey and the learning curve of loving others.  It's me observing how God loves people and trying to do that.  I realized in the process I'm so far from where I need to be.  What's awesome about this realization is that I can now take steps to change.  Hopefully that change will be more evident both in my relationships with others and on the road. 

1 comment:

Seetup said...

Um... so true. It's hard to love those you don't know, but sometimes it's harder to love those you do know! I'm living in such an example right now where I constantly need to remind myself to love those I'm living with.

Anywho, the point of this comment is to say how much I enjoy the descriptions of your songs. So many times I find myself wondering what the inspiration to some of my favorite songs where, and to few times do I get the pleasure of finding out.