Tuesday, March 25, 2008

ISSUE9.MARCH25.IFYOUCOULD

If You Could
It's true, it's true, our time here is short.  It's vapor, its dust! A few years and we're dead! This song talks about how short our lives really are.  My pastor Ken Johnson always talks about eternity being a huge long line (like a rope stretched across a football field) and if we were to compare the rope of eternity to our meager 80 or so years here it would be like one little scratch on that line.  It's crazy that everything rests on the scratch.  

Musically I'm quite fond of this song.  I like the guitar riff throughout the song (the dun da da, dun dun da - ha like you can hear it :) I'm also a big fan of the cello in general.  Tim Smith from Portland laid down cello on both "If You could" and "Love of My Life."  He did a tremendous job.  He told me the cello is the instrument that most resembles the human voice.  Yeah - the cello is super cool. If I could even play one great sounding note on a cello I would feel pretty impressive.  For now I will stick to the KORG keyboard sound effects for all my artsy moments (or I'll call Tim). 

The song "If you Could" talks about time you can't get back.  It really is a song that looks forward at you looking back.  ?  Picture yourself when you are 70 years old sitting on a park bench before it's about to rain.  If you could look back at your whole life from that vantage point, what would you do differently?  I was thinking about what God was building at the time.  God has an agenda on earth you know.  I want to be a part of those things, building people, working out my salvation with fear and trembling, and building His church.  What a great question it was for me to apply - if I looked back and photographed your life and how you used your time, would you have eternity in mind?  I'll leave that one with you.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

and now i know why you have not updated your weblog.... don't worry i won't tell. =)

it's really awesome reading all of these... can't wait to get the CD off itunes. =)